Our team regularly assists in and/or coordinates the investigation, seizure and prosecution in relation to intellectual property crime in the Canadian market place and at the border. We are in regular contact with numerous law enforcement and government officials across Canada (and elsewhere) and assist them in dealing with counterfeiting cases.
Our anti-counterfeiting enforcement team is regularly involved in the following:
- Test purchases of counterfeit merchandise;
- Surveillance of targets;
- Providing intelligence reports on counterfeiters to law enforcement;
- Coordinating and obtaining sample analysis of suspected counterfeit product;
- Locating copies of intellectual properties required by law enforcement;
- Attendance on seizure/execution of search warrants;
- Coordinating, preparing and obtaining victim impact statements;
- Arranging for the cartage, storage and destruction of counterfeit merchandise;
- Coordinating and obtaining witness testimony in the event of criminal prosecutions;
- Assisting in the preparation for and attendance at briefings for criminal enforcement, preliminary inquires and pre-trials;
- Assisting in the preparation for and attendance at criminal seizures and trials;
- Providing in-house counsel and intellectual property counsel appropriate case law and legal advice in respect of anti-counterfeiting enforcement matters;
- Coordinating genuine and counterfeit product for comparison purposes.